We were lucky enough to find a festive St. Patty's Day cupcake recipe that does both! Here's the lowdown on the recipe for Green Velvet Cupcakes from the Love From the Oven Blog.
What You’ll Need
Green Velvet Cake:
· 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
· 2 cups sugar
· 1 Tablespoon cocoa
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon baking soda
· 2 eggs
· 1 cup oil
· 1 cup buttermilk
· 1 Tablespoon vinegar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1 oz green food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting
· 1 oz package of softened cream cheese
· 1/4 cup softened butter
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 bag powdered sugar (2 lb bag)
· Milk as needed
Ready, Set, Go!
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
2. Using a whisk, lightly stir eggs in a medium bowl. Add in remaining liquid ingredients and stir until blended. Set aside
3. Place all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
4. Add food coloring to the wet ingredients. Stir.
5. Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for 1-2 minutes until well combined and GREEN!
6. Pour batter into cupcake pans.
7. Bake regular size cupcakes for around 16 minutes or mini-cupcakes for about 13 minutes. Once they are done, cool for about 10 minutes before removing the cupcakes from their pans.
While your cupcakes are cooling, you can prepare the frosting (or just buy a store bought can like I naturally would!).
1. For the cream cheese frosting, mix cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Gradually add in powdered sugar as you mix.
2. Add milk as needed for the desired frosting consistency.
3. Frost & Decorate!
4. Add shamrock sprinkles or any other decorative accent you can find to unleash the spirit of the Irish in your kitchen! The Love From the Oven blogger found her sprinkles at Michael’s.
Disclaimer: Cupcakes go best with a large cup of Irish coffee.